For the third year in a row, the Individual Income Tax Return Filing deadline has been moved from the usual date of April 15, giving tax payers a few more days to submit their return.
This year it is due to the celebration of Emancipation Day in Washington DC which is celebrated on April 16 but this year falls on a Saturday, which means it will automatically be moved to Friday, April 15, when many of the government’s services are paused. This date will also apply to those who also live outside the area.
Key filing season dates
If you file per calendar year then your tax year ends on December 31, so the due date for filing your federal individual income tax return is generally April 15 of each year (April 18 in 2022).
If you file per fiscal year (tax year ending on the last day of any month other than December), then your return is due on or before the 15th day of the fourth month after the close of your fiscal year.
There are several important dates taxpayers should keep in mind for this year's filing season:
- January 14: IRS Free File opens. Taxpayers can begin filing returns through IRS Free File partners; tax returns will be transmitted to the IRS starting January 24. Tax software companies also are accepting tax filings in advance.
- January 18: Due date for tax year 2021 fourth quarter estimated tax payment.
- January 24: IRS begins 2022 tax season. Individual 2021 tax returns begin being accepted and processing begins
- January 28: Earned Income Tax Credit Awareness Day to raise awareness of valuable tax credits available to many people – including the option to use prior-year income to qualify.
- April 18: Due date to file 2021 tax return or request extension and pay tax owed due to Emancipation Day holiday in Washington, D.C., even for those who live outside the area.
- April 19: Due date to file 2021 tax return or request extension and pay tax owed for those who live in MA or ME due to Patriots' Day holiday
- October 17: Due date to file for those requesting an extension on their 2021 tax returns
It's never too early to get ready for the tax-filing season ahead. If you need help or advice with your finances, contact us today for a free initial consultation. TaxAssist offers an expert professional advisory service. Inquire online here to book your free, no obligation consultation.
Date published Jan 12, 2022 | Last updated Jul 8, 2022
Sign up for our newsletter
Receive important tax news suitable for business owners and self-employed professionals.
Choose the right accounting firm for you
Running your own business can be challenging so why not let TaxAssist Advisors manage your tax, accounting, bookkeeping and payroll needs? If you are not receiving the service you deserve from your advisor, then perhaps it’s time to make the switch?
We specialize in supporting independent businesses. Each TaxAssist Advisor runs their own business, and are passionate about supporting you.
We enjoy talking to business owners and self-employed professionals who are looking to get the most out of their accounting firm. You can visit us at any of our locations, meet with us online through video call software, or talk to us by telephone.
Changing accounting firm is easier than you might think. There are no tax implications and you can switch at any time in the year and our team will guide you through the process for a smooth transition.