Contact Us

The Internal Revenue Service has encouraged taxpayers to take important actions this month to help with filing their tax returns in 2022, including special action related to Economic Impact Payments and advance Child Tax Credit payments.

Here are some key considerations:

Economic Impact Payments and claiming the Recovery Rebate Credit

If you didn't qualify for the third Economic Impact Payment or did not receive the full amount, you may be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit based on your 2021 tax information. You will need to file a 2021 tax return, even if you don't usually file, to claim the credit.

You will also need the amount of your third Economic Impact Payment and any Plus-Up Payments received to calculate your correct 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit amount when you file your tax return. Ensuring you use the correct payment amounts will help you avoid a processing delay that may slow your refund.

In early 2022, the IRS will send Letter 6475 that contains the total amount of the third Economic Impact Payment and any Plus-Up Payments received. You should keep this and any other IRS letters about your stimulus payments with other tax records.

You can also log in to your Online Account to securely access your Economic Impact Payment amounts.

Advance Child Tax Credit payments

Families who received advance payments will need to compare the advance Child Tax Credit payments that they received in 2021 with the amount of the Child Tax Credit that they can properly claim on their 2021 tax return.

Taxpayers who received less than the amount for which they're eligible will claim a credit for the remaining amount of Child Tax Credit on their 2021 tax return. Taxpayers who received more than the amount for which they're eligible may need to repay some or all of the excess payment when they file.

In January 2022, the IRS will send Letter 6419 with the total amount of advance Child Tax Credit payments taxpayers received in 2021. You should keep this and any other IRS letters about advance Child Tax Credit payments with your tax records.

Eligible families who did not get monthly advance payments in 2021 can still get a lump-sum payment by claiming the Child Tax Credit when they file a 2021 federal income tax return next year. This includes families who don't normally need to file a return.

Changes to charitable deductions

Taxpayers who don't itemize deductions may qualify to take a charitable deduction of up to $600 for married taxpayers filing joint returns and up to $300 for all other filers for cash contributions made in 2021 to qualifying organizations.

How we can help

If you need help to complete your tax return contact us today. TaxAssist offers an expert professional advisory service. Call us on 888 547 9295 or inquire online here to book your free, no obligation consultation.

Date published Dec 17, 2021

This article is intended to inform rather than advise and is based on legislation and practice at the time. Taxpayer’s circumstances do vary and if you feel that the information provided is beneficial it is important that you contact us before implementation. If you take, or do not take action as a result of reading this article, before receiving our written endorsement, we will accept no responsibility for any financial loss incurred.


Other pages within this section:

Previous Next

Sign up for our newsletter

Receive important tax news suitable for business owners and self-employed professionals.

Choose the right accounting firm for you

Running your own business can be challenging so why not let TaxAssist Advisors manage your tax, accounting, bookkeeping and payroll needs? If you are not receiving the service you deserve from your accountant, then perhaps it’s time to make the switch?

Local business focus icon

Local business focus

We specialize in supporting independent businesses. Each TaxAssist Advisor runs their own business, and are passionate about supporting you.

Come and meet us icon

Come and meet us

We enjoy talking to business owners and self-employed professionals who are looking to get the most out of their accounting firm. You can visit us at any of our locations, meet with us online through video call software, or talk to us by telephone.

Switching is simple icon

Switching is simple

Changing accounting firm is easier than you might think. There are no tax implications and you can switch at any time in the year and our team will guide you through the process for a smooth transition.

See how TaxAssist Advisors can help you with a free, no obligation consultation

(888) 547 9295

Or contact us